Sunday, February 13, 2011

3D Review: Killzone 3 (Multiplayer Beta)

Game (3 out of 5)

I know this is just a beta, with no campaign mode and limited multiplayer modes, but my initial reaction is that it is just "ok". I was hoping for a little more. Hopefully I am more impressed when I get the opportunity to play the full game later this month.


3D Effect (3 out of 5)

The first thing I noticed about the 3D in this game is that it felt very natural. That is, it succeeded in showing increased depth, but at the same time it didn't really feel like I was "watching 3D". On one hand, that is a good thing, as the 3D is not distracting. On the other hand, this is a first person shooter fighting game. I WANT to see crazy 3D effects. The other problem I found is that much of the screen menus seemed somewhat dimmed and difficult to read in 3D mode. The game designers were obviously going for a certain "look", but in 3D mode I found it distracting.

EDIT: I was giving this game a second chance last night. As I was running into one of the rooms a robot shot some sort of missile at me from across the room. It literally looked like it was coming right at my face. Enough so that I actually jumped for a second. This has made me a little more optimistic that once I get a chance to play the full version I will be more impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment